Using up Cream Cheese: Love your Leftovers
I love cream cheese lathered on fresh bread, but this like other ingredients can end up becoming a leftover, these cream cheese recipes mean that this ingredient never needs to be left on the shelf again.
Fresh dairy products are one of the main offenders when it comes to ingredients creeping past their best condition and they are considered a high risk food so you want to get that versatile half eaten tub of cream cheese out of your fridge and into cooking action as soon as possible.
Cream cheese is a fairly robust fridge product, but it won’t last forever and one opened those last few dollops can go from pure creamy delight to something altogether fungal in a very short space of time.
A note on storing cream cheese:
Cream cheese should be used as soon as possible once the seal has been broken. It will last around a week and a half, but it’s best to use it as soon as possible. The most obvious sign of spoilage is mould, however other pointers are a sour smell, grey or yellow tinges or a slimy, watery texture.
You can add cream sauce to sauces or stir it through mashed potatoes but it makes a great addition to an omelette and transforms the ordinary to the extraordinary.
Seren’s Heavenly Omelette
Fantastic as a quick meal fix and delightful with a glass of something sparkling
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons, fresh minced chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh. Chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 150g plain cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to season
- Knob of butter
- in a large non-stick frying pan , heat oil over medium-high heat and add the butter.
- Whisk the eggs, half the cream cheese, chives, parsley milk , salt and pepper in a bowl
- Add egg mixture to pan ( the mixture should set immediately at edges).
- As eggs set, push cooked edges toward the centre, letting uncooked portion flow underneath.
- When the eggs are set, dollop the remaining cream cheese on one side; fold the other side over filling.
- Slide omelette onto a plate; enjoy with a crisp green salad
Bon appétit !
For another super recipe to use up cream cheese check out the no-cook cheesecake